URL Character Encoding

kinderlehrer

URL Character Encoding

Posted:20 Jun 2008 (03:36 UTC)
I am trying to develop a foreign language wiki. Huge learning curve!!! (:wink:)

Anyway I have come up against a problem in that when a page title has a foreign character in it, it alters the url so that a wiki link is not forming.

For example I have ((Fächer)) and the actual url reads F%C3%A4cher whereas the URL that is read from the html (and displays down the bottom in the status bar) gets it 'right'.

What am I doing wrong?
WaterDragon
Profile Picture

Re: URL Character Encoding

Posted:20 Jun 2008 (09:06 UTC)
URLs with UTF characters are escaped. This is part of the URL standard. The ä is represented in UTF-8 by the two bytes C3 and A4 so these are escaped as %C3%A4 in the URL. Note that you can still type in ä in your browsers goto bar and the browser will handle escaping these for you. You are doing nothing wrong you just don't understand internationalization and URLs. See The RFC 3987 for documentation on how international URLs are encoded for more information.
Anonymous

Posted:25 Jun 2008 (06:21 UTC)
Ok, thanks WaterDragon.

....is there a reason then that the wiki doesn't automatically make the link between the word 'Fächer' on one page and the newly created page of the same name; whereas it automatically made it between '1.Klasse' and its newly created page?

If I change the language I am working in from English to German does this change the character set and then the pages will 'connect'?
kinderlehrer

Posted:25 Jun 2008 (10:14 UTC)
I changed the 'Wiki Link Format', in the 'Configure:Wiki', from English to Latin and this seems to have 'fixed' the problem.
  Page 1 of 1  1