Need a few guidelines on setting permissions

maskiepop

Need a few guidelines on setting permissions

Posted:20 Aug 2008 (14:34 UTC)
Hi everyone.

I have just installed bitweaver 2.0 on my pc (running ubuntu 8.04). I am now attempting to install the sample package described in one of the bw documentation.

I have encountered a permission problem relating to the installer's access to ../install/install.php. I changed that to what I think it should be; got the same results. I paused to think about what's happenning, and now am not sure whether I have the right permissions to the bw files I have installed.

Here's my set-up:
o with few exceptions, all the files and directories relating to bw bw install, is owned by root, whose gid is also root

o I have defined a bwadmin uid, gid admin, to administer the bw website I am building. root also belongs to this admin group. I understand that when I am installing a package within bw, that process will be done under the bwadmin uid and gid.

I am under the impression that for my website to run properly, I will have to change the uid and gid of the /bitweaver files and directories to that of bwadmin and admmin. Seems like a lot of work. How should one do it? Bottom line, I'd like to be able to install a package within bw. But I'd rather have a clear idea of the proper ownerships and permissions of the files in /bitweaver. And if there are others as well (PostgreSQL ?), include that as well.

Thanks.
maskiepop

Re: Need a few guidelines on setting permissions

Posted:24 Aug 2008 (14:18 UTC)
No replies? Or comments? Is it because no one bothered to install the bw samplepackage?
  Page 1 of 1  1