Disallow access to the site?

Anonymous

Disallow access to the site?

Posted:21 Aug 2008 (12:36 UTC)
I want to use BW for an extranet site. Users are only allowed access to the site if they have permission. Without permission no one should see any page with menus etc.
In Server Settings I check Disallow access to the site. If I log in as admin I get to the admin's 'My page'. However, if I log in as a normal user nothing happens. The url point to my.php but the same log page is presented.

How do I fix this? What is exactly meant with 'Permission'?
kinderlehrer

Re: Disallow access to the site?

Posted:28 Sep 2008 (07:55 UTC)
Hi Anonymous

I am only a beginner myself but what I did in a situation similar to yours was to edit one of the groups that have already been assigned permissions (the ability to do or see certain things on the site) so that they could see the items in the menu bar that I wanted to be public, but if they were not admin, they couldn't see 'my' menu (more on that later).

To do this go to Kernel>Users>Groups & Permissions and you will see what permissions are the default.

What I did was change the registered users group, by clicking on the edit icon in the top right section of the page where registered users list is, and going to the 'Assign Permissions' tab.

I striped most things out, as I am rolling out the site in stages. So I launched the forums (installed phpbb) first. Then the wiki/image galleries/file galleries will come next, along with newsletters, rss etc.

At each stage I can change the permissions for the registered users group - adding more as I choose.

Now about the admin menu. I used the nexus package to make a totally seperate menu from the one that is displayed to the registered users (or the anonymous group).

This is not so intuitive, but I will try to explain.

Go to the admin menu > nexus and slide across to nexus menu. It takes you to a page where you set up a few of the parameters for your custom menu. For arguments sake call it 'admin menu' and save settings.

Now I am going from memory, but I think it automatically takes you to the next screen where you choose what to have in your menu.

Most of what you will need will mean that you choose "URL" as the resource type. Don't get too overwhelmed by this page. Enter a title, choose "URL" and enter the url in the next box.

Save the item.

The urls are fairly intuitive.

They follow the loose rules of
nameofpackage/function.php

Therefore
fisheye/upload.php
wiki/list_pages.php
treasury/edit_gallery.php

So once you are happy with the menu items you have for your menu, there is one last thing for you to do.

Go to admin>theme>configure layouts

You will see the default setting for the layout of your site, and any others you have installed.

Choose to 'edit this layout'(s) you want to have the menu on. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, to the assign column module tab.

In the drop down field for 'module' you should see the name for your admin menu.

Select it, choose a position, and order if this is important to you.

The key here is to select administrators in the groups box almost at the bottom of the page, and my recommendation is to apply it to all layouts - because you don't want to go off and work on one of the packages and either not be able to get back or not be able to insert images or whatever you feel is necessary that you added to your admin menu.

Hope that helps and that you come back to find an answer of sorts.
kinderlehrer

Re: Disallow access to the site?

Posted:28 Sep 2008 (08:15 UTC)
Oh, I almost forgot...the other thing that I did was change the permissions for the anonymous group, so that if a person wasn't registered they only had permission to view the wiki pages.

I had set a single stand alone wiki page as my default starting page (ie it is not connected to any other of the wiki pages (that I am still developing in the background).

If you'd like help with further explanations for how to set the default page in this way please see 'The Absolute Beginners Guide 2.0' as I will write up something there for all to read.
  Page 1 of 1  1