Numerous bitweaver questions

oisact

Numerous bitweaver questions

Posted:13 Nov 2008 (15:18 UTC)
I'm evaluating bitweaver (and / or tikiwiki) for a project that is a community website. I've already implemented other proprietary portions of the site (an SMS text message notification system, allowing scheduling of weather forecasts, etc), and was intending on using phpBB and a wiki. I've already integrated phpBB with my proprietary system to unify user registration and login. In the process of evaluating wikis (I've used mediawiki for other projects, but it does not provide group based permissions, and is too wikipedia-centric in other areas) I came across tikiwiki. I tried it, and the potential for using it as the global framework for the site is compelling. However, its forums were too lightweight to replace phpBB, which led me here. After installing bitweaver release candidate, I see that it now has done away with phpBB too, and the forums also look lightweight.

So I have some (okay, a bunch of) questions.

I've created a board, and did not enable HTML. I do not see any way to edit an existing board once created. Can that be done?

Can the WYSIWYG editor be used with the boards?

I don't have the BBcode syntax option on my forum, so I assume I'm missing that capability in the Pear library?

I checked the "Allow html" checkbox when posting a message, but my html codes are escaped and appear in the message uninterpreted by the browser.

Are there any bulk editing capabilities with the new bitweaver forums?

What is the ramification of using html in place of the wiki codes? Does that affect how the documents are stored in the database, or does it only affect the user interface? I ask because that is recommended when the fckeditor is used.

In tikiwiki I can create multiple calendars. So I can have calendar for the local school system, and place entries within it, allowing visitors to filter what they see. Can this be done in the bitweaver calendar?

My goal with the calendar is to have groups of events, which the user can then filter to show what is of interest to them. So if someone is interested in events at the library and community center, they can see a single calendar populated with just those two types of events. Can this be done?

I tried creating a new event, and the Type drop-list is empty. The only reference I could find to event types TikiNotifications, which says they are defined by other packages. What are event types for and how do I use them?

I've posted this message 4 times now, and it keeps saying "Post Preview". So in the event this eventually gets posted, is that a bug? I've tried both Preview and Post buttons now, and it keeps previewing. I copied my text, hit New Topic again, and am trying to post this for the 6th time. Okay, now I see, below the preview and above the editor is an icon and message "Links are not allowed". It would be nice to have that more prominent, considering the amount of other information on the page. That is why I like dedicated message entry pages because there is less clutter. Okay, I converted my url to a wikilink, but when I click on that link it shows the article in edit mode. Shouldn't it be in view mode?

In the process of trying multiple times to post this, I forgot a Title. So I edited my existing post, added a Title and Posted it. Now I get the error "Duplicate comment." So it looks like the validator is checking for duplicates against the post that is being edited, which doesn't make sense.

Thanks!
oisact

Re: Numerous bitweaver questions

Posted:13 Nov 2008 (15:39 UTC)
I'd like to be notified if anyone replies to my post, but I don't see an option. Is that available?
laetzer

Re: Numerous bitweaver questions

Posted:14 Nov 2008 (16:50 UTC)
I don't know that much about the boards package, but I can answer some of the other questions. You're right, Bitweaver's boards package is still quite light weight and missing some features.

To be notified of replies to your post, you could follow the boards RSS feed. Notify by e-mail might not be implemented yet.

> What is the ramification of using html in place
> of the wiki codes? Does that affect how the
> documents are stored in the database, or does it
> only affect the user interface?

If you input HTML, that HTML will be stored in your database, yes. The main difference between Wiki code and a WYSIWYG editor is convenience for your users. If they don't know how to input wiki code, they might be happy about an interface to emphasize text or create a table.

> In tikiwiki I can create multiple calendars.
> Can this be done in the bitweaver calendar?

There is a filtering option, but I'm not sure about the overall state of the calender package. Try it out and post about it here :)

> edited my existing post, added a Title and Posted it.
> Now I get the error "Duplicate comment."

This is a bug. See Bitweaver's bug tracker on sourceforge.net, ID 1974623
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post