Translating installer

Kozuch
Profile Picture

Translating installer

Posted:15 Jan 2009 (10:13 UTC)
What if I want to translate installer lets say to German or Czech?
xing

Re: Translating installer

Posted:15 Jan 2009 (15:39 UTC)
we don't support translation of the installer at the moment since it requires database accesss and during the installation, no database access is available.

x
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:15 Jan 2009 (16:19 UTC)
I am not sure I got it xing. I want to translate that, I will do so and throw the translations around for somebody to implement it. Is that a solution?
xing

Posted:21 Jan 2009 (09:07 UTC)
there is no point in translating the installer, since we have no way of making use of the translations. currently you need to be able to speak some english to be able to install bitweaver.

x
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:22 Jan 2009 (21:35 UTC)
Sorry, I still dont get it...
laetzer

Posted:23 Jan 2009 (08:17 UTC)
I think what xing means is that if a person had translated all the strings that are now seen in the installer, there's nothing programmed to actually use these new strings.

So there is no way to automatically switch between languages.

Translators could only take a copy of the install folder and open all the .php files with a text editor and read through the code and translate "every" english string they see, and then maybe upload that to the file gallery for others to download.

There are many disadvantages though, it's hard to update the translations, they'd be done in vain if a real translation system for the installer comes along, the translator could unknowingly mess up some PHP and introduce bugs, if the installer is updated, the translated installers would as well have to be updated by someone ... and so on.

Also, to actually find these installer archives one would have to understand english, since bw.o is english-only.

Maybe, if a translated installer is tied to a certain version, at least the bug-introducing problem would not be as serious. There could be warning on not using this non-english installer on any other version but X.
Bobby Richardson

Posted:31 Mar 2009 (05:54 UTC)
Ditto all of the above, but I will add that it's VERY generous of you to volunteer to do a translation, Kozuch.

And I'm fairly sure that all the devs appreciate your spirit, but don't want your efforts to be wasted.
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post