Family website possible with bitweaver?

Niels

Family website possible with bitweaver?

Posted:04 Feb 2009 (21:10 UTC)
Hello Bitweaver people,

Am looking for a CMS for a family website and was wondering if bitweaver can comply with all my wishes:

1) address book with extra fields like birthday for the birthday calender and some sort of check box for 'friend of X' (so my girl friend is also a member but not really family yet). Preferably so that every member can change his/her own address (name, street, e-mail, phone number, birthday and birthplace, picture)

2) calendar which automatically gets the birthday dates from the address book with an option to add extra events in the calender for family meetings and so on

3) some sort of genealogy option, so you can see who is connected to who. Or maybe this cms-genealogy.org) can be integrated.

4) separate blog for every family member (if they want it) on their own subdomain, like niels-familysite-com

5) photo album, where every member of the site/family can upload and comment on pictures

6) forum, so family members can exchange messages and start topics

7) newsletter which get send out automatically once a month to all site/family members and where everyone can add articles with images.

This all must be in valid html and css because I am an addict of W3C standards. I saw that this forum was valid (:mrgreen:) so I suppose all other bitweaver features are valid as well. My compliments by the way.

The first 4 wishes are the hardest to find. Looked at Joomla, Wordpress and so on, but they are to complicated (to much bullshit code and/or not W3C compliant). Also looked at www.familycms.com/demo/home.php but that doesn't do the trick for me (and the Prayer Concerns (:evil:) give me creeps)

Thanks for your replies,
Niels

PS: Apologies for the links not working but got an error on posting this message that links are not allowed
Lester Caine

Re: Family website possible with bitweaver?

Posted:05 Feb 2009 (19:34 UTC)
Niels - out of the box - No

But the bulk of what you want IS already available, galleries, blogs, forums, newsletter. Calendar displays other content items as requested, but the contact package needs a little TLC. Personally I'm working on a different version of it for a different application.

I have ported phpgedview into bitweaver, and have a version running on my own site, but this is not really ready for 'production'. It DOES work though if you have a GEDCOM file that it can display. ->lsces.co.uk/phpgedview/
The structure of phpgedview is somewhat confusing and has been changing over the years, but running a copy in parallel with bitweaver is probably the easiest option currently. I've not had time to work on the internal package in over a year :(
Bobby Richardson

Re: Family website possible with bitweaver?

Posted:12 Mar 2009 (05:18 UTC)
Dang, what a shopping list! But at least you know what you want!!

Okay, lemme see:

address book with extra fields like ... birthday calender...some sort of 'friend of X' Preferably so that every member can change his/her own address (name, street, e-mail, phone number, birthday and birthplace, picture)

Custom User Fields can handle some of that, some is already built-in, but you only get 250 total characters for all of the custom fields combined. 'Friend of X' could be accomplished by creating a group for each new user registration, then allow other users to join that group. You'd have to tweak the UI to show 'Friend Of' instead of 'Member of (group)'...

calendar which automatically gets the birthday dates from the address book with an option to add extra events in the calender for family meetings and so on

The Events Calendar already exists, but any events outside the built-in (posts, edits, etc) have to be entered manually. But hey, Open Source! Write your own code to harvest data from the registration page!

separate blog for every family member (if they want it) on their own subdomain, like niels-familysite-com

Any user can have permission to create a blog. Not sure about the subdomain thing. There is a multisites package, but I'm not familiar enough with it to hazard any kind of guess.
photo album, where every member of the site/family can upload and comment on pictures

The Image Gallery (fisheye package).

forum, so family members can exchange messages and start topics

AKA The Boards package.

newsletter which get send out automatically once a month to all site/family members and where everyone can add articles with images.

Bitweaver does have a Newsletter package, but I've just glanced at it. You MIGHT be able to bend Wikibooks to the task. Create a Wikibook for each month, let everyone contribute pages to it, etc. The automatic part might need original code from you. I just don't know about that one.

It would probably be simpler to have folk submit news articles to you, rather than hope all your users would be willing to learn Wiki syntax...IMHO
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post