user portraits not displaying

Dan Carmeli

user portraits not displaying

Posted:05 Mar 2009 (19:01 UTC)
Hi. User portraits aren't showing up. All I get is the default image icon. I looked on my server and the user did indeed upload a picture. Any thoughts?

untitled.bmp
Dan Carmeli

Re: user portraits not displaying - URGENT

Posted:06 Mar 2009 (13:27 UTC)
If anyone can figure this out for me soon that would be really appreciated. Our site launch is waiting on this and one other issue that I have also tagged in this form as being urgent. Thanks!!!

Dan
laetzer

Re: user portraits not displaying - URGENT

Posted:06 Mar 2009 (14:08 UTC)
Hard to debug without any information, especially since it works at least on bitweaver.org. Into the blue ... maybe the file format they uploaded was not supported? Check Admin > Liberty Settings > Image Processing System.

The path to the image should be /storage/users/<digits>/<digits>/images/<digits>/thumbs/avatar.gif

What's yours?</digits></digits></digits>
Dan Carmeli

Re: user portraits not displaying

Posted:06 Mar 2009 (14:34 UTC)
Aha! My path was off. I didn't have a "thumbs" folder and the file itself wasn't name "avatar.gif". Once I created a "thumbs" folder and renamed the file it worked! Ok, now here's the million dollar question - how do I make sure it works automatically next time?

thanks,
Dan

PS - also I can't get the image to show up as a thumbnail. It just shows up in its original size... (I checked out the settings in liberty - image processing and changes didn't seem to do anything...)
mmln

Posted:10 Apr 2009 (02:54 UTC)
Dan,

Was your issue resolved ? I am also facing the same problem with no portraits displaying and no 'thumbs' folder.
spiderr
Profile Picture

Posted:10 Apr 2009 (03:19 UTC)
This sounds like inadequate permissions. The thumbs dir should be created automatically. try: chown -R apache storage/users; chmod -R 775 storage/users;
mmln

Posted:10 Apr 2009 (03:42 UTC)
Spiderr

Appreciate ur quick response to help me.
I don't have UNIX access so couldn't run Chown command
Manually set the preferences to 775, still no luck.

My Image gallery is working correctly (able to upload images) and can see the thumbnails, only problem I see is when i try to upload avatars through preferences - pictures. No attachment folder created.

Investigation I did.

Uploaded a new image through 'Image galerries'.
This created a new attachement id.
Updated this attachment id in user_users table.avatar_attachment_id
created a new thumbs folder below this attachment folder, uploaded manually the thumbnail picture.

to summarize problem - uploading pictures works through Image gallery, not from preferences/pictures. It is not creating any folder.
Lester Caine

Posted:10 Apr 2009 (11:22 UTC)
Just tested this on both the R2.6 test site and locally and it is working correctly.

So we probably need a little more help such as what setup you are using, along with which version of bitweaver you are currently running. The switch to using the thumbs sub-directory was fairly recent, and if the base directory can be created ( the storage/users/<id>/<id>/images/<attachment_id> ) then the thumbs directory permissions should not be a problem.

Are the thumbnail pictures being created in the <attachment_id> folder? In which case some part of the software is out of date.</attachment_id></attachment_id></id></id>
spiderr
Profile Picture

Posted:10 Apr 2009 (14:50 UTC)
If you don't have shell access, you might need to use perm 777

Create an entirely new user and try to upload portrait images.
mmln

Posted:14 Apr 2009 (01:50 UTC)
setting perm 777 and trying with a new user didn't work.

as lester said it could be a software problem. I have thumbnails generated under attachment when uploaded through image gallery (doesn't do anything when uploaded through user preferences).

I have ony GD installed as image processing syste. Imagick and Magicwand aren't available. Could it be source of problem ?
  Page 1 of 2 »1 2 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post