frustrating server side error message

Will Coveleskie

frustrating server side error message

Posted:10 Mar 2009 (17:57 UTC)
i attempted to access

Admin > Liberty > Plugins

i was greeted with this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40961 bytes) in /home/group11c/public_html/community/temp/templates_c/clean/en/%%C8
C85
C855F0DD%%global_mini_search.tpl.php on line 5

i've encountered similar errors with wordpress, but they were easily remedied by changing the ram allocation in wp_settings. i'm not sure what do to with a bw install.

edit: apparently some of the error message was read as code. on each side of the C85 should be a karat.
Bobby Richardson

Re: frustrating server side error message

Posted:10 Mar 2009 (19:54 UTC)
Looks like a cached mini-search template from the clean theme got horked up somehow.

Have you tried purging the cache from the Administration->Kernal->System Cache menu?
Will Coveleskie

Posted:10 Mar 2009 (20:57 UTC)
Bobby, thanks for responding.

I, just now, did as you instructed which produced the same error.

After completing the clearing of the cache, I receive the message:

The cache was successfully cleared.

I'm not sure if it's worth noting, but two areas still show a quantity of files and cache size. The two areas:

Cache Area Relative Path Files Size

Language Files temp/lang 39 311 B
Javascript and CSS files storage/themes 7 19.2 KB

It's likely very clear that I am new to BW...I can't even create a simple table yet :D
Will Coveleskie

Posted:11 Mar 2009 (01:44 UTC)
I've not found a permanent solution, so I resorted to an old stand-by: in to each page that displayed a memory error I inserted

<?php ini_set('memory_limit', '64M'); ?>

Still need a permanent fix, though.

On another note, is there usually more 'buzz' in the forums? I'm no babe in the woods, but I am very new to BW and will likely need assistance beyond what is documented. I am to make a decision by the weekend about which Wiki package we are going to use, so I need a general sense of how things work around here.
laetzer

Posted:11 Mar 2009 (14:15 UTC)
Doesn't it just mean that 25165824 bytes of RAM is not enough? Bitweaver relies on server side settings for RAM allocation, as far as I'm aware of - that memory_limit would have to be set via php.ini or .htaccess.

The internal Bitweaver cache that you cleared shouldn't have anything to do with it. These are files stored on hard disc, not in RAM. The files that "remain" are most likely the ones that just got created again to display that page to clear the cache.

The forum has had its average 'buzz' in the past weeks. Alternatively, try IRC (channel bitweaver on server freenode.org), which is also very fast and helpful.
Will Coveleskie

Posted:11 Mar 2009 (15:50 UTC)
{quote format_guid="tikiwiki" comment_id="11581" user="laetzer"}Doesn't it just mean that 25165824 bytes of RAM is not enough? Bitweaver relies on server side settings for RAM allocation, as far as I'm aware of - that memory_limit would have to be set via php.ini or .htaccess.
{/quote}

It could mean that a cached file hasn't been released from memory, or the general PHP memory limit needs to be adjusted, or that it is something that is software specific (to BW).

The php.ini and .htaccess files were modified nearly a year ago when I bumped in to a Wordpress plug in that demanded more memory. They had been set to 64M, so last eve I tried 128M which didn't work. As each memory error popped up, I edited the referenced file with the php line noted in my post. I was then finally able to modify the settings. You can verify PHP settings group-11.com/phpver.php.

I'm thinking there is a file somewhere in the installation that governs memory as well. I'm still troubleshooting in attempt to find it. If it continues to hiccup come the weekend, I'll need to settle for what I consider to be a lesser software package.

I ask about activity because I am new to BW, its methodology, and code. Many years ago I used to work with 3 tier Java appz which is partially why I like BW; I understand the logical framework. Unfortunately I am not picking up how, for example, to create a complete stencil that can be utilized by our stake holders. I am stretched very, very thinly working to complete other components of the organization. I am not asking for someone to spend some time showing me how to do certain things in BW. We are not yet funded in any way and I, being an artist, am a man of modest means, but the creation of the BW/Wiki/Community site is important. In a general sense, are there active BW folks who would be interested in doing some paid piece work?
Bobby Richardson

Posted:11 Mar 2009 (20:50 UTC)
Speaking of .htaccess, do you have error logging turned on?

In httpd.conf
ErrorLog logs/error.log
  1. Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, alert, emerg.
And set to:
LogLevel debug

I changed mine from notice to debug and gathered a wealth of knowledge about errors that were just quietly absorbed with no other notification.

Not necessarily a fix, but a possible avenue to get more info about the bug.

Also open the .\kernel\config_inc.php file in a text editor. There are some (well-commented) debugging switches which can only be turned on/off by manually editing the file.
  Page 1 of 1  1