Re: Ode to Bitweaver

Posted:04 Apr 2009 (22:10 UTC)
Wow, first CMS poem (:mrgreen:)
spiderr
Profile Picture

Posted:05 Apr 2009 (19:30 UTC)
Kinderlehrer,

Let me be blunt: your criticism is far from acceptable. Get a book and learn to code or find a project better suited for your needs. We have no room for people that complain, yet do nothing about it.

Criticizing people who bust their ass is far from helpful. While your participation in the forums is very appreciated, last I checked, you have not done anything to materially move the project forward. As in, do REAL work like write code, or work on templates, or make builds, tend the bug database, try to get us reviewed, etc. Sitting around and chatting is NOT work. Fixing problems is.

This is FREE software, so you are FREE to contribute. Until you become part of the solution, your complaints just piss people off.
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:06 Apr 2009 (07:19 UTC)
Maybe too severe reaction, dont you think Spider? Have you lost all the kindness you usually express? I did not read the poem, but I surely know that "eye for an eye" attitude when handling criticism is not productive, especially not in a FOSS project.

I have not specially watched Kinderlehrers forum posts, though I think he performs pretty good in keeping the forum live. I want to remind you that posting meaningfully to the forum is a hard task, that not everybody is able to take, especially in such a small and fragmented (devs/others) community as bitweaver is.
spiderr
Profile Picture

Posted:09 Apr 2009 (17:52 UTC)
Hi Kozuch,

As I mentioned, help in the forums is appreciated, but that does not move the project forward. Organizing efforts to release, fix bugs and promote the project makes progress. Answering questions, while helpful, does not FIX the probelm. Only makes it worse by wasting time talking instead of spending time "doing". To complain about lack of leadership yet do not offer to take responsibility, or to complain of bugs yet do not offer to take responsibility is not acceptable from anyone.

When you criticize and complain, you must be first willing put up your own efforts. To do otherwise is to sit lazily and be a critic, or act like a communist insisting people with abilities do things for the people who are too lazy to acquire their skills. And I mean that - lazy.

You were critical of our efforts, and yet volunteered to help webmaster bitweaver.org. That is a huge help. We have an article requesting help. If anyone has a complaint, the first act they should take is "pick up a hammer and start helping".

This is a harsh response to a post that belittles and berates years of development and 26,000+ source commits, even if it is in a "funny" poem. I will not tolerate such behavior. Likewise, I will do all I can for someone trying to solve their own problem, which in turns helps everyone.
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:14 Apr 2009 (20:44 UTC)
I just dont agree with the "coding uber alles" opinion. You are going to die on perfectionism like that. Features that nobody wants. Perfect solutions have never worked out. For me, posting to forum has the same importance as coding, and I am not telling this because I can not code, but because I feel it so from the entrepreneurial side.

From my point of view, bitweaver has really been dancing on the existential edge for most of its life, few times I waited for the project to die because of lack of public interest and because of current developers kind of burning out, but it fortunatelly did not happen yet.

I have been telling for ages that bitweaver has a great code but lack of publicity, which pardon me turns out even worse than if it had shitty code and lots of publicity - in that case there would be pretty big chance on attracting new devs, which I feel as a main problem today.

It is a fast world today, nobody is going to wait half a year for you to fix their particular bug, they will go with Drupal, Joomla or XOOPS with ton of crappy plugins instead. Everlasting coding will not save your ass, selling current features will.

I might exaggerate in most of points, but hopefully my ideas will be more understandable like that.
spiderr
Profile Picture

Posted:15 Apr 2009 (01:46 UTC)
You have great ideas Kozuch.

Now go sell the current features.

Nothing is stopping you - you have power and imagination.

We don't have time for criticism without action.

Go for it! We need efforts from all sides.

PS bw 2.6 is releasing tonight, a fine time to sell! (:wink:) and here is a nice list of places where you can promote bitweaver.
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:16 Apr 2009 (20:10 UTC)
http://cs.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bitweaver&action=history
http://sk.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bitweaver&action=history
http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bitweaver&action=history

Maybe a little COI, but to be honest it was easier than to contribute over here... (:evil:)
Lester Caine

Posted:17 Apr 2009 (15:13 UTC)
Kozuch - while you still seem to be able to create pages for bitweaver in some non-english versions of wikipedia, pages on the main wiki are now blocked as wikipedia have decided that it was just advertising, and not of 'notable quality' - so many of us have simple dropped support for wikipedia altogether :(
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:19 Apr 2009 (05:37 UTC)
Creating other language versions will help returning back to en.wiki one day I hope...
  Page 1 of 2 »1 2