Default menu takes whole width

Arnaud HERVE

Default menu takes whole width

Posted:29 Oct 2009 (00:18 UTC)
Hi all!

I just installed 2.6

Site is not usable, because default menu takes whole width, and rejects content below.

This happens with all themes and all gala choices.

Firefox 3.5, Windows XP.
laetzer

Re: Default menu takes whole width

Posted:30 Oct 2009 (15:20 UTC)
Could you upload a screenshot?

Width - do you mean the height of the menu items when the menu is dropped down? This can only refer to the menu item "admin", because it's quite long. But if you click the word "admin", it gives you all subsequent options layed out on the page. For more comfort, like an admin menu that fits your screen height, you'd have to adjust your CSS manually.

If your menu is too wide on the sides, you can hide some unused items in Admin > Themes > Top menu. For instance, if a search module is shown in a column, there might be no need to provide an item "search" in the top menu.

If you mean that the menu is completely uncollapsed, as if there's something wrong with it, it's a bug. As a quick fix, you could disable the dropdown functionality (Admin > Themes > Top menu).
Lester Caine

Posted:01 Nov 2009 (08:23 UTC)
Arnaud

If using Windows as the apache/PHP server, try switching join and pack of CSS and JS off ...
Administration->Themes->Themes Settings near the bottoms. Some combinations of packages and windows simply do not mix and while they had been tested on Linux, we don't hafe many people using windows or development and this got missed. 2.7 has fixed a few of these problems, but 'pack' on windows seems to be the temperamental bit.
Leslie Chau

Posted:08 Nov 2009 (02:45 UTC)
I have the same problem... the menu takes up the entire width of the browser... tried a few settings, no help

windows/apache/mysql
Lester Caine

Posted:08 Nov 2009 (09:04 UTC)
What Browser?
I've just run a clean install of BW2.7 onto a windows setup, Apache2.2.8 - PHP5.2.9 - Firebird, and the server end problems from the original 2.6 distribution seem to be fixed. I worked out of the box.

BUT that was using Seamonkey ...

IE still seems to have a few problems - depending on the version of IE.

IE6, The administration menu is streached, but can be worked around by simply going to the administration page.
IE7 seems to be more of a problem with a number of funnies in layouts. I'm using IE7 to write this and this text box is centred on the page, but bw.o expects it to the left!
IE8 DOES seem to be looking OK, my previous themes had to have it switched to compatibility mode, but out of the box it looks fine. But I suspect that fixing IE6 and 7 may break 8 again :(
Leslie Chau

Posted:08 Nov 2009 (14:45 UTC)
I've tried everything from Chrome to Firefox to Safari and IE...

I'm testing a few Wiki's on my computer before I present to the boss... and bitweaver and tiki are my favorite. Except Bitweaver's menu is taking up the whole width of the page. The only theme that doesn't do that is Eclipse.

Maybe I'm missing extensions in php?

Screenshot:
hxxp://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6751/ss20091108092739.png
Lester Caine

Posted:08 Nov 2009 (17:03 UTC)
OK - I've seen THAT before ...
Problem is that it's not finding the .css file at all!
Which version of bw do you have? Latest zip seems to be working OK, but I've not tested all combinations of apache and php.

Right click on page and view source. Check the path it is uaing for the .css files, I suspect something is amiss there. I would say disable Packed CSS and Joined CSS if you can see the Admin->Themes->Themes Settings page ... /kernel/admin/index.php?page=themes if you need to manually enter it ...
Leslie Chau

Posted:09 Nov 2009 (00:01 UTC)
Hi Lester,

Thanks for your replies. I disabled joined css and it actually made it worst! No styling at all... I checked the source and all the css files that the header is referencing are all where it is indicated...

I'm using 2.6.1 (the latest version). Should I try 2.7 RC? Any suggestions?
Leslie Chau

Posted:09 Nov 2009 (02:12 UTC)
2.7 works fine btw...
Lester Caine

Posted:09 Nov 2009 (08:19 UTC)
It was the 'whole width' thing that was confusing ;) The problem in 2.6 was actually that it was NOT using the width because the .css file was being ignored. 2.7 has most things fixed as we are actually testing ON windows servers and using IE.
Will has just posted a little fix for the drop down menus when using IE6 and 7 but your problem was at the server end with Windows not generating paths in the same way as Linux.
  Page 1 of 2 »1 2 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post