Controlling forum access by group

paul greavy

Controlling forum access by group

Posted:30 Oct 2009 (14:30 UTC)
I'm wondering how to give different groups access to different forums. To be specific I want to all members of the editors group to have exclusive access to a particular forum while registered and anonymous users are excluded from it.

The idea of password protecting it by creating a security level seems clumsy to me. Is there a better way?
Lester Caine

Re: Controlling forum access by group

Posted:01 Nov 2009 (08:12 UTC)
Protector ....
ProtectorService
Will

Posted:02 Nov 2009 (01:20 UTC)
The most simple way is to use custom content permissions on each group. There is a link in the icon menu for assigning custom content permissions. However only the boards permissions will be available in the UI. One thing to be aware of is that the permission for posting a message to a forum is governed by the general p_liberty_post_comments permission, which is not available in that UI, You'll have to set it directly using SQL or a database tool like phpmyadmin.

You should probably read this:
http://www.bitweaver.org/wiki/Groups+and+Permissions#CustomContentPermissions
paul greavy

Posted:06 Nov 2009 (14:07 UTC)
I have to say the protector package worked right out of the box. It does exactly what I want.

Any reason why it isn't included by default?
Will

Posted:06 Nov 2009 (14:37 UTC)
we already include too much
paul greavy

Posted:06 Nov 2009 (15:05 UTC)
Can't disagree with that. But, why choose to ship gatekeeper over protector?

Afaict tell only one can be enabled at a time - I got a warning that both were active so I disabled gatekeeper. So far, I cannot see that I've lost anything.

But anyway, why not include the functionality of both protector and gatekeeper in a single package?
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post