Themes on IE

Lester Caine

Themes on IE

Posted:08 Nov 2009 (09:19 UTC)
I've already included these notes in another post, but I thought it would be worth starting a separate thread for IE rendering problems.
There have been a number of attempts to get IE rendering html pages properly, but as yet there has not been a reliable solution to the problem.
The facts - IE6, IE7 and IE8 produce different fonts sizes and respond differently to layout information, so something needs to be done to adjust output to compensate for each.
Detecting which browser is being used seems to be working fine as long as people don't try to change thier agent id, and at the current time IE8 DOES seem to be displaying pages in a similar way to any non-IE browser, so the problems come from IE6 and IE7.
Do we need to worry? YES - Many people still run W2k, which can not even install IE7 or 8. So we need to get a working set of 'fixes' for BOTH IE6 and IE7. I think the current fixes which are common for IE6 and IE7 are simply wrong, and the earlier split fixes need to be restored. Even the earlier fixes had problems, but they did at least allow IE6 to be used by an admin while the current fixes do not!

Please add problems relating to IE here ....
Lester Caine

Re: Themes on IE

Posted:08 Nov 2009 (09:23 UTC)
Starting the list ...
bw.o on IE7
Header dropdown menues do not hide again when moving away from heading.
The text edit box remains central to the browser window rather than the style area that it should be contained in.
Will

Posted:09 Nov 2009 (03:33 UTC)
For the record, two major bugs in the top menu were patched this evening. The menus no longer get stuck open in IE<=7 and the administration menu no longer stretches downward out of wack on IE6.

These fixes were put in Nov 8 to file: themes/css/dropmenu.css

As of now these fixes are not in the current 2.7 release candidate. Get the changes from CVS and past your copy or wait for the next release candidate.
Lester Caine

Posted:09 Nov 2009 (08:11 UTC)
Thanks for that one Will ...
I can confirm that drop downs are 'less stable' now and disappear when they should do.
The streached menu's in IE6 are a lot better even with the js fix switched off ( with it on they did look normal length ) but they still have the problem of drop down lists being displayed in front of the meus.
My test for this one is to select Themes->Theme Settings which has drop down lists near it's top, and on IE6 these overlay the menus. I know it's a z-order thing as I HAD fixed it previously but I'm still floundring with .css.

Also IE7 - the edit text box is still out of place, being central to the browser rather than the column.
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post