Lost map? (Googler map goes here)

constantijnw

Lost map? (Googler map goes here)

Posted:15 Nov 2009 (11:09 UTC)
A map doens't show anymore. Instead I get a grey box with the text 'Google map goes here'. The content list still shows all markers. What happened? Can I restore the map somehow?
Will

Re: Lost map? (Googler map goes here)

Posted:15 Nov 2009 (14:27 UTC)
Sounds like a javascript error on initializing the map. Install firefox and firebug plugin and you can see what errors are occurring.
constantijnw

Posted:15 Nov 2009 (14:41 UTC)
Maybe next time; I've deleted the site, 2 days work, and started over again...
I thought maybe I should try myslyi extension instead of mysql. The result was a tsunami of table creation failures on install. Very, very frustrating for a non-coder like me. Hope testing and bug kicking gets higher priority.
constantijnw

Posted:15 Nov 2009 (23:33 UTC)
Lost the new map. Apparently 2 GMap bugs, see: http : // ars.mobile.econotopia.net.

From this Firebug output it looks like geo coordinates for a marker are lost:
marker_id: 24,
title: "Korevaarstraat 16 (2)",
lat: ,
lng: ,
label_data: 'Korevaarstraat 16 (2)',
parsed_label_data: 'Korevaarstraat 16 (2)
',
thumbnail_url:'',
set_id: 1,
style_id: 0,
icon_id: 139,
array_n: 22,
plot_on_load: true,
side_panel: true,
explode: false,
allow_comments:'n',

How can I remove this marker? In the map editor no markers are shown anymore.
constantijnw

Posted:16 Nov 2009 (08:14 UTC)
Solved by manually inserting the missing record in table bwgeo for this marker. Will file a report.
Will

Posted:17 Nov 2009 (02:12 UTC)
Hard to bug fix if people don't report the specifics. For example it would be handy to see the specific sql failures rather than just hear there was sql table creation failure.
constantijnw

Posted:17 Nov 2009 (08:07 UTC)
Some users, like me, do not have the knowledge to dive into the specifics of why bugs surface. They only can point to the symptoms.
And learning the basics of getting debug information, like installing something like Firebug, takes time.
In this case however its clear that apparently the integrity of the database is not protected. It should never be possible to insert marker data without geo codes, or deleting geo codes without deleting the complete marker.
Again, there are users and coders. I am a user. I've filed many bug reports lately, which are all sufficiently described, I think.
Will

Posted:19 Nov 2009 (13:43 UTC)
I do believe markers have a requirement for geo data. Certainly for deleting it is impossible to delete a marker without deleting geo data first - but this requires a good database like postgres which respects the constraints - MySQL (that POS) will not protect you because it has no respect for such constraints nor transactions to roll back database changes in a chain after a latter database process fails.

In cases like this even if you dont know what happened exactly, things that are helpful would be to tell us are:

• what database you are using
  • what browser
  • what you were doing in detail
    for example: I created a map and added some markers. later I edited the map and tried to add another marker, when I hit submit the transaction never completed - the spinning graphic hung. when i reloaded the map there was the javascript error of missing geo data.

That kind of detail is really critical to helping us pinpoint where something went wrong.
constantijnw

Posted:20 Nov 2009 (11:26 UTC)
MySQL 5.045, FF 3.5
Probably the geo-code text field were not filled in. An error should be thrown instead of saving inconsistent data. Maybe next time I can be more certain about the cause.
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post