help with a wiki layout

Andrew

help with a wiki layout

Posted:13 Feb 2010 (23:23 UTC)
I absolutely love this layout:
onnyturf.com/wiki/

is there a way to make mine look like that? is that using a theme?

any help is appreciated.
Matt

Re: help with a wiki layout

Posted:17 May 2010 (21:06 UTC)

Summary: Sure.

This guy's question has not been answered for 3 months, but I guess anyone visiting would appreciate a positive response. I'm just a designer, zero php knowledge and no developer knowledge.

Layout

Bitweaver has four main template areas: the header, the main content column plus two "side" columns (by default), and the footer. You can design a custom home page (see features) with custom layout.

There's a section in the Admin panel that will allow you to juggle your content in pretty much any order that makes sense from user's perspective (like, say, two columns no footer, both columns on one side, etc).

Both the main content and the panels will automatically change depending on the section of the website (Wiki, blog etc) and user's editing permissions (editors can see more links), you can build your own menus or let bitweaver build some for you based on your content.

Customization of details

If you feel that you need to seriously change your header (like I did), there are instructions how to do it in the documents here. I decided that the horizontal (drop down) menu would be in one of my side panels open all the time, and it was not an issue. It's a matter of modifying some sub-templates and putting them in a special "Force" directory, which will override the defaults.

Methods, variables

Like any serious template customization, it takes time, learning curve, and yes - some frustration, as there's no detailed code/variables repository of how to access various content in the templates. You need to analyze the default templates and learn upon that. I guess the Devs leave it up to the users, that's a shame, because without PHP code analysis you just won't know how to use your Smarty code in a more creative manner.

Start by installing a minimum of bitweaver and playing around. Then play around with templates. Then add modules as necessary. Do it on your own local computer and you will see how bitweaver is faster than Tiki. My design was based on Tiki but after a few weeks I dropped it for bitweaver's responsiveness. I can't afford the server power that Tiki would require under heavier load.

HTH
laetzer

Posted:18 May 2010 (22:34 UTC)
Hey, nice read!

There's one point I disagree with - template vars or design possiblities being unaccessible. It's super easy to clone an existing template to your own style that you are starting, and then add any number of templates from the default directories as well. This is documented in extreme detail on certain Wiki pages. And while changing the Smarty code, you only need to put "{debug}" in any template to get a pop up with all variables you can use. It's a very long list. There is no need to read or write even a single line of PHP code to develop or change a style.

One other minor thing ... if someone likes the layout of a certain Bitweaver site, try writing an email to the admin of that site, instead of posting in this forum. ;)
Tochinet

Posted:04 Jun 2010 (08:43 UTC)
Sorry laetzer, but I disagree with your disagreement. Nothing in PHP is "super easy" for people that install bw and have no PHP experience. And I'm one of those...

I played with the admin choices a bit as Matt proposed, but while there are indeed many (probably almost all) combinations, it doesn't help when you want to choose what you show in each part.

Just to give an example in tw.o : in all pages, we have in the right menu one of the links that says "write blog post" while the blogs were disabled more than one year ago. Can you tell me (as an example ;-) how this can be corrected. It is so easy that I'm sure you can do that in 5 seconds, but I have absolutely no clue where in the hundreds of files I should look, and what I should look for.

BTW, while you're at it, the "create new documentation" should be "create new wiki page". That's more consistent with what it does, not all pages here are "documentation".
Matt

Posted:11 Aug 2010 (02:39 UTC)
Hi, I saw your post today - I know it's August but others are reading and trying to learn. A quick search for the phrase revealed a template called menu_blogs.tpl

I guess that's where you're supposed to look for your "write blog post" code. It will tell you that only users who have permissions to do so will actually see this link. Look for the isFeatureActive conditions, as well as hasPermission — whatever is wrapped with these, will be displayed conditionally.
{if $gBitUser->hasPermission( 'p_blogs_post' )} <li><a class="item" href="{$smarty.const.BLOGS_PKG_URL}post.php">{biticon iname="document-new" iexplain="Write Blog Post" ilocation=menu}</a></li> {/if}

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that particular link does not seem to be feature-dependent, i.e. a user with relevant permissions can always create a new blog or add entries, while this blog remains invisible for the public.

I don't know how to do a good file search with a Windows or *nix machine. I use an old Mac and the system totally sucks on searching for a string of text in exotic files like smarty templates. Use your coding tools, like Coda, Dreamweaver or many others.
Matt

Adding PHP and TPL files to Spotlight indexing

Posted:13 Aug 2010 (03:52 UTC)
I just wanted to confirm or prove myself wrong in the above post, last paragraph.

It's true, that without a special tool on a Mac, searching the code inside file types like PHP or TPL is quite not possible. Until you try the below link. It worked for me, on my old 10.4.11 notebook.

SUMMARY:
the author describes how to add two new file types to Spotlight importer preference file to make indexing and searching the code possible. The procedure is: test the file extension if file type is recognized by the OS, and add the file type to the preference file. And that's it.

share.ez.no/forums/general/using-mac-s-spotlight-for-.tpl-and-.php

A few NOTES:

This forum did not let me make these links clickable, sorry.

You will be modifying a system file. It's not a crime, but if the thought makes you uncomfortable, ask someone to do it for you.

You should be a little comfortable with Terminal just to ask the system if it knows the said file types. But you don't have to edit the preference file with sudo vi (vi is a text editor, sudo is a "superpower mode" that lets you change system files). You can copy it to your desktop, edit in your favorite HTML code editor, and copy it back — you will be asked for an admin password. Again, back up the file!
VI cheat sheet below:
www.lagmonster.org/docs/vi.html

Tip: You don't have to type the file names to open - it's as simple as dragging them from your Finder to your Terminal window.

I was impatient, and for some reason I had to reindex my hard drive to see the results. It takes time (mine took some 30 minutes) but it worked. See this link on how to reindex your Mac:
support.apple.com/kb/HT2409

Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post