PHP problems with install on Fedora 12

Neil Cohen

PHP problems with install on Fedora 12

Posted:07 Jul 2010 (20:23 UTC)
Running Fedora 12 and Firefox 3.6. I'm looking forward to trying Bitweaver, but I can't get started. I am an experienced programmer, but not with PHP. Downloaded the bitweaver check program and get a page like this:

==========================
Server Settings Check for biteweaver
'; // lets chuck out the html! foreach( $check_settings as $set_type => $settings ) { switch( $set_type ) { case 'required': $html .= '
Required settings
'; $html .= '

These settings are strictly required and if these are not met, bitweaver will not work on your site.
'; foreach( $settings as $setting ) { $class = ( $settingpassed>'passed' == TRUE ) ? 'success' : 'warning'; $html .= '
'.$settingnote>'note'.'
'; } break; case 'recommended': $html .= '
=======

etc. etc. Looks like php is not working.

PHP is installed:
nbc@luna ~$ php -v
PHP 5.3.2 (cli) (built: Apr 27 2010 17:55:02)
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies

When I point at the install page I get:

==================
Bitweaver Installer
Not enough memory!
Unable to run installer

The memory limit of "'.get_cfg_var( 'memory_limit' ).'" is not high enough to run the bitweaver installer. Please up the memory limit in you php.ini to at least 16M to install and run bitweaver.

=====================

But it looks like the get_cfg_var didn't evaluate the variable (which is set to 128M in the php.ini file).

So I need some help getting started - I have no idea where to look... Any suggestions appreciated

thanks,

nbc
Lester Caine

Re: PHP problems with install on Fedora 12

Posted:08 Jul 2010 (08:19 UTC)
Neal ... Many OS projects are becoming rather annoying in the way changes are added simply because someone thinks it is a good idea. PHP5.3 developments are more annoyance than help and subtle differences are popping up all over the place. Your problem is not one I have seen and it is working for me OK ... so I would probably just suggest commenting out the 'get_cfg_var( 'memory_limit' )' just to get you going.

Which version of bw are you working with, the HEAD version may be less of a problem as it DOES have a lot of PHP5.3 fixes ... the 2.7 zip was pre 5.3 :(
Neil Cohen

Posted:08 Jul 2010 (14:02 UTC)
Thanks for the info - as I indicated, I'm not a PHP programmer, but I'll see about removing that one check. Don't think it is likely to work - the check program output looked to be garbage as well (see above).

As for the version, I downloaded the official 2.7 zip file. I'll take one crack at the latest beta code, but after that, I'll check out something like Mambo... At the moment, I don't have time to teach myself php - but I do want to rebuild my web site...

Your software looks very interesting - wish you all the best of luck in case I can't get it running... Thanks,

nbc
Neil Cohen

Posted:09 Jul 2010 (11:38 UTC)
I think the problem I'm having is that PHP is actually not configured to run with my web server at the moment. I was under the impression that that was a standard configuration, but it looks like that may not be the case. I think I will have to figure out how to configure Fedora to include PHP support for apache - then I'll try again to load bitweaver...

nbc
Lester Caine

Posted:13 Jul 2010 (09:39 UTC)
I've just finally given up with Fedora ;) Although not because of any real problems with apache/php. I was missing the default setup from SUSE too much, and have now found how to destroy KDE4 and get Gnome working instead. I simply don't understand the mentality behind KDE4, KDE3 ws a joy and konquerer is STILL the best management tool on Linux. But that is another mater :(

Installing PHP5 in Fedora should have brought it up working with a default setup. It is a pity that it does not give you a default test page as well. Adding

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

To a phpinfo.php file in your apache web site would at least allow simple testing.
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post