Running very slow

Iain

Running very slow

Posted:20 Jul 2007 (07:40 UTC)
Hi. I finally got bitweaver installed and running. Only it seems to be running really slow. I have switched off most of the packages, and limited the number of users to around 10, but it still takes 20+ seconds to load a single page - tested in both IE and Firefox, and other users agree.

There are two messages that I found when looking around:

"No version information available. Check your connection to bitweaver.org"

And:

InnoDB cache hit ratio : 0 : Cache ratio should be at least 90%

Would either of these cause the slow running of the system, and how can I put both of these right? Where are the settings for them?

Thanks.
Arnaud HERVE

Re: Running very slow

Posted:20 Jul 2007 (12:18 UTC)
I have Bitweaver running extremely slowly on an AMD Duron bought in 2001, 512 ram. The same delays that you describe. But then the speed is normal on a new Intel core duo, 2048 ram. And all other CMS show the same behaviour.

I don't know if I have answered your question properly, but in my case it was worthwile trying on another machine.

Then there is the question of precising what speed is acceptable for a real server use, that might be much more powerful, or completely overloaded, etc., which wouldn't have a graphic interface to load, etc etc etc....
Iain

Posted:20 Jul 2007 (12:40 UTC)
The thing is, I have mine hosted through my server, sharing the database with my boards. The boards run fine, and other users in other countries on different machines tell the same story - very slow access. I wonder whether the delay is because bitweaver is attempting to connect here to collect upgrade info, and my connection generates a timeout.

Looking at other bitweaver sites linked from here, and they all run a lot faster, with no trouble, so it must be a problem with my specific installation or setup.

Currently, up to 20 seconds to load a single page with a simple layout, limited features and a handful of users just wont work.
Arnaud HERVE

Posted:20 Jul 2007 (13:55 UTC)
Could you try extending the memory limit to 32 in your php file?

(I suppose that by saying "my server" you control it, it is normal Unix Apache, and so on...)
Iain

Posted:20 Jul 2007 (15:54 UTC)
Actually, no, sorry. I dont have the server myself. I must admit that I am still a real beginner in all of this. I will need 'idiot proof' instructions. Are we the only ones having this trouble? What have we done differently?

Can you check and let me know if you have the same two 'error messages' that I got (in my first post) to see if this is a common thing?
Iain

Posted:21 Jul 2007 (11:25 UTC)
Is anyone out there? Anyone who can point me in the right direction? I would like to know:

How can I stop my installation from checking version information from this site?

How can I increase my InnoDB cache?

I have also noticed that, for example here, there is a 'Memory:4Mb' stat, which is just blank on my installation. Can someone please let me know how to sort this out.

Thanks.
xing

Posted:22 Jul 2007 (02:34 UTC)
iain, the installer doesn't check for version information on this site as far as i know. you can try removing the bitweaver information module once it's installed though. i think that checks for the bitweaver version. if you want to make sure it's not the check, the function doing the checking is in kernel/BitSystem.php checkBitVersion(). just go to line 1855 and insert
return TRUE;
in the next line.

to increase your db cache, i'm not sure but you can search elsewhere since that is a server configuration issue.

x
Iain

Posted:22 Jul 2007 (06:40 UTC)
Thanks. I have added the statement. You are right, it came back that my version was now up to date... and that page took 33 seconds to load! I have contacted my web host to ask about increasing the cache.

Can anyone suggest anything else that may be causing the trouble? I dont think that I have done anything differently, but other installations dont seem to have this problem.

Thanks.
Iain

Posted:24 Jul 2007 (09:02 UTC)
My web hosts have said that they cant increase my InnoDB cache because I am on a shared server. Before I go ahead and try to find a different software package and abandon bitweaver, is there anything else that I could do? Anything else that could be causing the slow page loading?

Thanks.
pongle

Posted:14 Sep 2007 (20:18 UTC)
I've found a few things which caused my page load times to vary significantly. For example, turning on Hits in gallery listings made loading gallery listings take several seconds (instead of several fractions of a second). Another one I found is when using an RSS module, the update took a long time, because one of the feeds was broken. It might be worth turning off any extra modules and display settings to see if that reduces the load time.
Cheers,
Tim
  Page 1 of 1  1