a little help with cvs

jeff
Profile Picture

a little help with cvs

Posted:26 Aug 2007 (21:27 UTC)
hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me with getting code from cvs. I've used this command:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@bitweaver.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bitweaver co -r HEAD bitweaver

to get the latest code. But instead of copying everything into the current directory, cvs creates a directory called "bitweaver" within the current directory and copies all the files there. So for example, I want to copy the cvs versions into the directory /test/ but instead cvs copies everything to /test/bitweaver/

any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? As always, thanks in advance!

Jeff
laetzer

Re: a little help with cvs

Posted:27 Aug 2007 (20:00 UTC)
This is normal. You can move everything from /test/bitweaver/ to wherever you want, like one level up.
jeff
Profile Picture

Posted:28 Aug 2007 (00:34 UTC)
Thanks for the reply Laetzer.

So is it possible to update a single module? Like if i wanted to update Boards only, could I do that?

I've tried:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@bitweaver.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bitweaver co -r HEAD _bit_boards bitweaver

but that created a directory called "bitweaver" in the current directory, and a directory called "boards" in the current directory.

I also tried:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@bitweaver.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bitweaver co -r _bit_boards bitweaver

But got an error saying the tag needed to start with a letter.

Thanks for the help on this, I don't have much experience with cvs. I've checked out the CVS quick reference card that is mentioned here, and it seems helpful, but not for the beginner. I'm looking around for some good intro material too, if anyone knows of some.

Thanks again!
laetzer

Posted:28 Aug 2007 (12:59 UTC)
Yes - first you check out bitweaver like you did, and afterwards to update only one directory, you can change into that directory and execute cvs update and now only this package or theme or whathever will be updated. Even better yet cvs update -d -R I think.

The correct way to check out (which is not the same as update) only one package should be
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@bitweaver.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bitweaver co -r _bit_boards
(no "bitweaver" in the end)
jeff
Profile Picture

Posted:29 Aug 2007 (01:49 UTC)
ahhhh! Thanks Laetzer, that helped!
  Page 1 of 1  1