Is using HTML only a bad idea?

jeff
Profile Picture

Is using HTML only a bad idea?

Posted:29 Aug 2007 (23:50 UTC)
I really like fckeditor and its interface. I'd like to make it so only html is used on my site. I'm also still going to make use of the maketoc and img pluginns. But I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to make all content html only. I"ve installed and enabled htmlpurifier. would this make it safe enough for the site to be html only? can you think of another reason to enable tikiwikisyntax (or any other syntax for that matter)
laetzer

Re: Is using HTML only a bad idea?

Posted:30 Aug 2007 (13:57 UTC)
I like HTML-only. I go for it whenever possible, no wiki-syntax at all. Now with the HTMLPurifier things got even better, it's safe and it even watches the quality of the source code. I think it depends largely on the target group of your site. Do they know about "wiki", "HTML", and "syntax"? Some disadvantages of HTML-only are that you have to wait for a popup window just to put in external links (unless you know HTML), and that you can't use ALL available plugins (I think). Also, FCKEditor package is relatively young, one drawback being that it not always attaches to the right kind of textareas, for instance, it might be counter productive to have it in the admin panel, and in forms like shoutbox or even comments. Or, you might want to use HTML-only in wiki pages and blog postings, but stick with BBCode in your forums, I'm guess that would mean some template editing.
jeff
Profile Picture

Posted:31 Aug 2007 (00:31 UTC)
Thanks for the input Laetzer. I don't think my target audience will be too familiar with any syntax, be it BBCode, Tikiwiki, etc. That's one of the reasons I was so interested in doing HTML only. FCKeditor really makes for a rich end user experience. I'm glad it was incorporated into BW!
WaterDragon
Profile Picture

Posted:25 Sep 2007 (13:25 UTC)
htmlpurifier was added specifically to make html safe. The site I am working on will use fckeditor + htmlpurifier + html only throuhout.
Will

Posted:16 Jan 2008 (22:48 UTC)
This bitweaver based site uses html for blog posts with fckeditor and htmlpurifier, and tikiwiki syntax for its wiki: http://workinglife.org. Works great both ways.
  Page 1 of 1  1 
If you are already registered, please enter your login credentials.
Anonymous Post