R2 Events Calendar

Edwin
Profile Picture

R2 Events Calendar

Posted:16 Jan 2008 (08:43 UTC)
The Events package is the single greatest improvement that R2 gives my users. I am having some trouble with three of the views and would like advice on improving the layout before promoting the package to my users.

I'll start with the easy one. The "Weeklist" view under the "Native" theme lists the name of the day in a dark red over a dark blue bar. This make it difficult to see and use this view. I tried to find where to change this, but had trouble doing so.

Most "Week" views in calendars offer more detail on the events within each day, instead of just one line. It would help to allow the Admin to select how many lines of information will display for each event in the "Week" view. Otherwise, there does not seem to be much use for the "Week" view, since it does not offer more information than the "Month" view.

The "Month" view offers too little detail on the events. The benefit of an at a glance view like the "Month" view is defeated, since you have to hover over every event to obtain any idea of what the event is about. This could be improved by allowing the Admin to have the option of displaying two or three lines of the title of an event.

I did check the files in each package for ways in which I could do this myself. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to figure this out on my own. If anyone has information that will help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Edwin
Profile Picture

Re: R2 Events Calendar

Posted:19 Feb 2008 (05:50 UTC)
(update)

2.0.1 makes various improvements on the above:

http://www.bitweaver.org/builds
Kozuch
Profile Picture

Posted:19 Feb 2008 (08:18 UTC)
In my opinion, the "Calendar" package should be merged somewhere into kernel or whatever and the "real" calendar (Events now) should be introduced as a new Calendar. The new calendar would primarily hold events with the option of showing content changes. This is once again a problematic naming which came from TikiWiki or wherever. Just confuses potential users.
Edwin
Profile Picture

Posted:14 Dec 2008 (17:45 UTC)
Kozuch, I agree
kinderlehrer

Posted:14 Dec 2008 (23:25 UTC)
Must say that I haven't explored these in depth yet, but they are next on my list to roll-out on my site.

I am not sure why they are two different packages.

I'd like to see a merge of Calendar and Events.

So that you could have the full month view calendar at the top of the page and a list of events that month underneath (it or up the top).

And then a button to 'add an event' under that.

I use Thunderbird Calendar and refer to that sort of functionality.
Lester Caine

Posted:15 Dec 2008 (08:10 UTC)
NO ......
Calendar is exactly that ...
It allows one to look at the calendar of - say - articles posted. Things like the new 'tickets' package ( and the earlier irlist ) activities can be looked up on the calendar. Events are just another type of activity that can be displayed in calendar format.

The events package was intended originally to be a little like sample, and so people can take the package and modify it for their own purposes. I'm using events for displaying council meetings, but I do need to restyle the display module and the main page to give a more appropriate layout for the information.

Adding additional layout functions is very easy, especially if the templates have been properly produced, so a page with a month calendar view AND a month list view should not be difficult. It depends if you are thinking about a list created via 'calendar' or a list created via 'events'. I think probably the second, but the first is a display option that is missing from calendar currently, you can only display a week as a list.
  Page 1 of 1  1