Articles, blog or "community" as portal start page?

democrat54

Articles, blog or "community" as portal start page?

Posted:24 Mar 2008 (13:47 UTC)
I like a start page with size shortened postings (like a trad. blog) and sorted in a topics archive. Something like an e-magazine. Readers may comment, but not an extended debate on start page.

Which module is most suitable for this, articles, blog or "community"?
spiderr
Profile Picture

Re: Articles, blog or "community" as portal start page?

Posted:26 Mar 2008 (15:53 UTC)
I would talk to /Will who runs http://www.onnyturf.com and built http://www.workinglife.org for a client.
Will

Posted:26 Mar 2008 (20:05 UTC)
depends on who you want to do the story writing. You could use articles which has topics. Or you could go with blogs which doesnt have topics per-se, but has multiple blogs (so each blog a topic) and is far more flexible for authoring stories, cross listing stories among multiple posts, etc.
democrat54

Posted:28 Mar 2008 (11:55 UTC)
According to old wisdom people always have problem to use and /or take advantage of unique solutions /features. We have all a tendency towards "thinking the old way".

I have, at least during my exploration of Bitweaver, so far put Blog as startpage... but that was before I knew about Articles use. Now it seems that Articles is my best choice since it has Pigeonholes. Actually I allways thought of that as a Blog feature.

It would actually be nice to know about this. Is the blog-function basicly a more feature-limited articles function?
Will

Posted:03 Apr 2008 (15:47 UTC)
blogs is great if you want multiple authors and a community blog like site. articles only suffices if you have one author and want people to submit stories through a laborious and low reward system. you can accomplish the same thing as topics with tags or pigeonholes or blog containers.

packages like tags and pigeonholes are for all content types. you can use them with blogs or articles.

personally I like blogs a lot more, but I should because I spent a lot of time revamping it.
Anonymous

Posted:04 Apr 2008 (07:50 UTC)
Thanks for your answer... it helps planning on a website design strategy. Likely many will read this thread...

Does this mean that articles
first (1) can belong to an article chategory AND
(2) also secondly (at the same time) have given a pigeonhole AND
(3) thirdly have a tagcloud !?

Blogs can then belong to one of many name given blogs (personal OR dedicated to a subject) AND #2 AND #3 above!?

I guess this is also interesting for experienced people though this seem to be, perhaps not totally unique, but not the most common "cms power tool". It's easy to "read", but not all that easy to understand to make most bennefit from.

Was there any problem with the blog structures?
  Page 1 of 1  1