Pigeonholes, Categories or Tags

kinderlehrer

Pigeonholes, Categories or Tags

Posted:29 Jun 2008 (03:04 UTC)
(:question:)How does one know what the practical differences in these are? They sound very similar in their descriptions. How are they used?

(:question:)And while we are at it: what about shoutboxes and messages?
Will

Re: Pigeonholes, Categories or Tags

Posted:29 Jun 2008 (03:17 UTC)
Pigeonholes and Categories are very similar. Pigeonholes is newer and is regarded as better than Categories. But both are hierarchical categorization systems. Pigeonholes is distributed with the current release and recommended over Categories. Categories however is a direct port of Categories in Tikiwiki and if you are migrating a Tikiwiki site with categories to bitweaver, then Categories may be a better choice for you.

Tags are like tags systems you find across the internet - you can tag content with key works. Tags are Non-hierarchical. Tags have no hierarchical relation to other tags.

Someone else will have to answer your question about Shoutbox and Messages, I don't know those.
kinderlehrer

Posted:29 Jun 2008 (04:14 UTC)
Great thanks for that.

Looks like I can forget about categories as I by-passed Tikiwiki for Bitweaver.

Not a fan of tag clouds so perhaps pigeonholes are the one for me.

(:question:)Is there a wikipage on exactly how to integrate these into wiki's, forums's etc. I presume they are cross-platform ie access all of the components?

(:question:)What I am wondering is what is the benefit of using pigeonholes if I have set up the wiki as my main directory system, where a page is linked to another, and to another etc. Some of these pages are to boards, some will be to image galleries etc. I understand that the content on some of these pages will be horizontal and not just vertical, and that there may be overlap.
Will

Posted:29 Jun 2008 (14:44 UTC)
Well categorization is obviously a another way to look at information. so that would be the value add of using Pigeonholes.

you can read more about PigeonholesPackage here.

Pigeonholes can be used with any content.
  Page 1 of 1  1