questions about using images in bw

jeff
Profile Picture

questions about using images in bw

Posted:29 Apr 2007 (21:43 UTC)
I have a couple of questions about using images in a bw installation.

If the images are uploaded to a specific user's storage area, is there a danger of the image not being available if the user is banned or decides to leave a site for some other reason?

I notice it is possible to detach an image from a page without deleting it from the server. Doesn't this create a situation in which it will be possible to have many images sitting on the server that aren't being used on the site, and the site admins not knowing about it?

I've noticed that using the "attachement id=xx" rather than the "src="xxx" seriously comprimises the quality of the image. Not a big deal, I was just curious as to why this is.

Thanks!

Jeff
WaterDragon
Profile Picture

Re: questions about using images in bw

Posted:07 Jun 2007 (10:02 UTC)
The images will only go away if the user or admin deletes them. I am not sure if deleting a user deletes his images but I would be surprised. It is possible to detach images and have them not attached to anything. They will still show in the users attachment browser though so they can be attached again. They can also be deleted by the user. Storage is cheap so this is considered to be a feature not a bug. Unattached images should only be deleted at user (or admin) request to do so.

Image quality is controlled by the engine you use to reduce the size of the image and which version you ask the attachment to display. There are by default a number of thumbnails created for each image.
  Page 1 of 1  1