Wiki and Files

kinderlehrer

Wiki and Files

Posted:16 Mar 2009 (19:54 UTC)
Is there any one out there using the file galleries as a complete hierarchical solution to their structure outside or parallel to their wiki?

The background to this is that the wiki is the central part of the site but some tiers of pages have a lot of files inserted into them from the galleries without any supporting text; so I was wondering about using the galleries solely to present the files and linking directly to the galleries from one main wiki page perhaps.

I'd like to see how this has been implemented on someone's site.
Lester Caine

Re: Wiki and Files

Posted:16 Mar 2009 (22:34 UTC)
Personally I use fisheye rather than treasury to manage all the file handling. Nothing used on the sites is uploaded directly to a page, so I have all the files and images in the gallery structure, and then I simply add those images to the pages as required. Since I am creating construction manuals and the like, a lot of pages are more picture then text, but on the whole, I am using wiki pages to provide the views.

The main reason for using fisheye is the ability to have grids of images or simple lists, so that a gallery can be laid out appropriate to the content, such as on medw.co.uk
Picture galleries like medw.co.uk/fisheye/view.php?gallery_id=45 or a gallery list like medw.co.uk/fisheye/view.php?gallery_id=15
(Can't post as links on bw)
kinderlehrer

Posted:17 Mar 2009 (05:29 UTC)
From looking at your gallery it seems that the files that are uploaded to fisheye have not generated the same multiple image sizes that an image does but are represented by a default pdf, zip or other icon (just as they do if uploaded to treasury).

You have an image of the first page of the pdf, which from memory, you scan in separately?

So how do you use 2 items from the fisheye gallery - one being the file and one being the image?

If in a wiki page I use the attachment id= of the file uploaded to fisheye then it takes me to the gallery instead of downloading, say a pdf, directly.

Must be having a slow day to have to ask....how do you get yours so that the pdf is automatically downloaded from the wiki page that it is inserted into?
Lester Caine

Posted:17 Mar 2009 (07:12 UTC)

<?php
{image id= }
?>
rather than

<?php
{attachment id= }
?>
- but I think that you can create the same sort of link via

<?php
{attachment id= }
?>
I've just not moved over to it.

I've got an email open I'm working on to go to the developers list about 'attachments' as we have a difference of opinion on how these should be handled. Personally I prefer that I can actually see details for everything that has been uploaded, and when I was using fisheye AND treasury it was becoming painful. Both have some useful features, but fisheye has the better galley layout, and christian has now added the ability to create additional layout styles which I will be adding to.

The ability to create images from pdf's is sort of available but needs tidying as it relies on having the tools in the OS to create the base image. I think things have been added for a flash viewer for pdf's, but all my sites use a browser based viewer so I don't want to mess things up, and flash is a pain in my setup.

The cheat way I upload images for the pdf's is create a 1024 sq image of the front page, and upload that as a jpg, then simply copy the pdf file to the right place in storage and update LibertyFile to look at the pdf. This creates thumbnails of the image, but the original file is the pdf.

PICTURES - should be creating the correct thumbnail set in fisheye.
kinderlehrer

Posted:17 Mar 2009 (07:41 UTC)
Thank you for your replies. I will have to re-read the rss to truly absorb and get all the bits that have been edited out!

For some reason I like the idea of having one structure for all files - guess it has something to do with being used to that in a computers directory - not one place for files and one place for images - all in together - documents, spreadsheets, images, audio files, movies etc. K.I.S.S. (:wink:)

Think I will look at migrating my Treasury to Fisheye today then - its a start - and I would have thought that it had to go the other way (ie Fisheye to Treasury only) - so thanks for the tip.

Will have to keep looking at how to generate a thumbnail from a pdf, as I am not keen on flash either. My OS does this on the fly for its directory, thats why I thought that it must be able to be done in concept. Ultimately it would be fab' if BW could take a data file/document/pdf and generate an image from it. Would save time and hassle for the end user.
Lester Caine

Posted:17 Mar 2009 (09:04 UTC)
Have tweaked the previous post so that the curly brackets show up ;)

I don't think we are far off getting liberty_mime to create the thumbnails for a pdf by default. I've just not time to look at it myself ...
kinderlehrer

Posted:17 Mar 2009 (10:35 UTC)
Lester

Hope you don't mind but even with your 'tweaking' in the previous message, the '/' showed in the code (and may confuse others in future), so I used the method in 'The Absolute Beginners Guide' under How do I get code to show instead of activating?

I guess that is one advantage of being able to edit another persons message but thought this was now 'fixed' on BW.o as it was an error.
Lester Caine

Posted:17 Mar 2009 (12:37 UTC)
I'd be OK if this was html - I could 'escape' it, but tikiwiki syntax does not work the same way ;)
  Page 1 of 1  1