How to link from one wiki page to a specific text in another page

ulukai

How to link from one wiki page to a specific text in another page

Posted:17 Apr 2009 (15:33 UTC)
Hello,

I have kind of a general wiki question.
For an easier explanation let's imagine that I have a wiki page which has info about 10 cars. So there is Car 1 and some information about it, Car 2 and some information about it and so on.

Now let's say I have a different page where i mention Car 2. I would like to be able to click on Car 2 which would bring me to page about cars and scroll down on information about Car 2.

I know that this sounds like something that's exactly how wiki is supposed to work. Main difference is that i want to have those Cars 1 - 10 in one document.

I think there could be two solutions to this (but don't have idea if wiki systems or bitweaver supports something like this).

1.) I would have 10 separate pages about each car (pages called "Car 1" - "Car 10"). Than I would have one page (called let's say "Cars") which would somehow display pages "Car 1" - "Car 10" in one page. Now when i would have "Car 2" mentioned somewhere in random text it would link to that specifc "Car 2" page (1 of 10 pages about cars).

2.) This is probably simpler, but still don't have idea if wikis can work like this and also this one would be much less practical.
I would have one wiki page about information about 10 cars. I know how to link from one wiki page to different part of the same wiki page. So the question is if I'm able to link from one page to different wiki page and to a specific anchor in that page.

Thanks.
kinderlehrer

Re: How to link from one wiki page to a specific text in another page

Posted:17 Apr 2009 (20:02 UTC)
Are you running your wiki on wiki mark-up?

If so - each header is an anchor on a page.

(I don't run on wiki mark-up so this is from memory and I hope it works now.)

On your first cars 1-10 page make sure each car is titled with a heading - using 1,2 or 3 '!'

The anchor to take a person to that place on the page from anywhere else on your wiki then becomes the usual page name with #title added to the end of it. (If you are using html then it becomes the URL with #title after that). in this instance 'title' is Car1, Car2 and so on.

So something like this:

<?php
((The+Absolute+Beginners+Guide+2.0#HowdoIcreatealinktoanotherwikipage))
?>

Note that the title heading runs together after the #

Here is that above link in html as it may be helpful to you wiki/The+Absolute+Beginners+Guide+2.0#HowdoIcreatealinktoanotherwikipage

You may also be interested in the table of contents function which you can either choose from the top of the wiki page edit area or by using

<?php
{maketoc}
?>
where you want your table of contents to go.

wiki/The+Absolute+Beginners+Guide+2.0#HowdoIcreateatableofcontentsforawikipage

My other personal favourite is the Back to Top feature.

This works with the headers too. If you add

<?php
{backtotop}
?>
on a wiki page then an arrow is placed near the headers to take a person back to the top of a page. I did do some css styling to get the arrow where I wanted it. This feature has various limits you can set too.

Hope that helps
ulukai

Posted:19 Apr 2009 (15:58 UTC)
Hi, sorry I didn't have time to get back to this sooner.
I'm using only html in my wiki. I'm using this for wiki links: Name Of The Wiki Page.

I tried your solutions, but they don't seem to work. As soon as I put #AnchorName in the link, it will display the whole code like this:

www.bitweaver.org/forums/wiki/The+Absolute+Beginners+Guide+2.0#HowdoIcreateatableofcontentsforawikipage

and only stuff after # will become a link to wikipage.

I'm sure It's something wrong on my side. Thanks.
Lester Caine

Posted:19 Apr 2009 (16:22 UTC)
You can still use (()) in html pages, just make sure that the WikiPage filter is switched on in Liberty Plugins. Back to top filter should also work.

But I've not tried target links via this, I just use pages directly. If I get some spare time I'll have a further look, but your target looks like it had spaces in it, you may need to change these to underscores so that they are passes properly.
ulukai

Posted:19 Apr 2009 (18:00 UTC)
I'm using (()) . If spaces could be problem, I will try underscore.
kinderlehrer

Posted:19 Apr 2009 (20:01 UTC)
Sorry, when I said - "hope this works now" I was hoping that it would for you (as I couldn't get it to work initially).

Laetzer is the guru of css here in BW.o perhaps he can help you?

Or Xing: - did you see this thread?
  Page 1 of 1  1