Need Bitweaver Developer List?

George Somaru

Need Bitweaver Developer List?

Posted:19 Jul 2010 (03:06 UTC)
I have a partially completed website based on the bitweaver platform. The non partisan site will host discussion on current political and economic issues in which accurate Constitutional and Founder citations will be determine the success of arguments.

The immediate need is for changes in the voting and reputation functions

If anyone is able and willing to participate in some way, to help complete the site, please let me know.

the site is located at:

constitutionalboe.com
Lester Caine

Re: Need Bitweaver Developer List?

Posted:21 Jul 2010 (23:09 UTC)
George ... been a bit tied up with hardware problems and needing to re-image my main server. Hopefully we will be all back and stable again by the weekend and I'll be able to have a look.
George Somaru

Posted:24 Jul 2010 (05:36 UTC)
Hey Lester,

It's good to know I'm still on the radar. Thanks. I'll continue to chug along as best as I can in the mean time. Please do check back when you have the time.

Regards,
George
Matt

Posted:28 Aug 2010 (17:21 UTC)
George,

Could you please share why you changed to Wordpress (as of Aug. 28)? (that is, if you ever come back here...)
George Somaru

Posted:04 Sep 2010 (19:45 UTC)
Hi Matt,

I was convinced that Bitweaver was superior for my needs by a developer, who was subsequently not able to complete the project to my specifications. I found a new developer who felt he could do so in Wordpress, but I held out for help from this Forum. When it didn't materialize, I allowed him to press forward.

I would be happy to pick up the discussion with you if you are willing. This is not the only site I had in mind, but I figured that if someone from the Bitweaver group did come along, then the work already completed on Wordpress might be a good model for an even better work on Bitweaver.

Looking forward to your response.

George
George Somaru

Posted:13 May 2011 (21:58 UTC)
Crickets . . .

. . .

Well, I went with WordPress for now, because I could not find anyone with Bitweaver expertise to help out.

If anyone would like to briefly assist on the "Constitutional Bureau of Endorsement" website, stop by and let me know. I have never received message notifications from this bitweaver site, not sure why, so it's easier to reach me directly on my site.
Matt

Odp: Need Bitweaver Developer List?

Posted:01 Sep 2011 (18:46 UTC)
George,

One of the most frustrating "features" of this particular forum is that you will not get notified about the responses to your posts. This pretty much kills the whole deal. It's impossible to help people unless you manually check this forum.

I would say "sorry about that" but that's worth more than just "sorry" - it has to be fixed and I know there's an option for private messages, but I can't turn on notifications on my account.

bitweaver feels very flexible, but it's very feature-dense and definitely a much steeper learning curve than WordPress. It should not even be compared side-by-side because I think the development goals are even different. Bitweaver feels more like a framework, and WordPress feels totally like a consumer product. The biggest mistake is probably to activate all the modules and features in bitweaver, and... sink your new site under the weight irrelevant complexity.

A couple of years ago I had an idea for a website. I'm NOT a dev, just a designer. I spent my time sketching schemas and ideas and then tried building it myself. I knew WordPress but not enough. I tried MovableType because I was familiar with it, but I realized that I really needed a multilingual Wiki platform.
I installed TikiWiki, and started to write my templates and CSS from scratch. But it seemed to put a bit too much strain on the database (I tested it with caching off, but there's a point in it). Then I learned about bitweaver and got very excited about it. I tested its wiki and it was so much faster on my old PC. I will stay with bitweaver. For what I need, a bulletproof Wiki that can handle some serious traffic, I do not like any of the alternatives (like MediaWiki).

One thing that sometimes freaks me out is that when you make a choice like the above, you're practically on your own. And I believe it does not have to be like this.
The developers WILL eventually get back to you if you're persistent. Really. But most people give up early on.

It's a shame that as of now, discussion between users is severely crippled. I'll post notification feature request on the IRC channel.
George Somaru

Posted:16 Nov 2011 (02:24 UTC)
Thanks for the response Matt. I persisted for some time but eventually gave up. I will continue to check back here from time to time just in case.
George Somaru

Posted:10 Feb 2013 (17:13 UTC)
Leaving this platform. Reachable on LinkedIn.
  Page 1 of 1  1